Darkening the lashes for instant glam is one beauty trick we all use often. We usually do it when we are home or even when we don’t feel like wearing any makeup. However, it can be challenging to get the eyeliner right sometimes; that is why a more advanced solution has been offered, which is the Lash Line Enhancement.
What is Lash Line Enhancement?
Lash line enhancement is a trend taking permanent makeup to new heights. It can also be referred to as “Invisible eyeliner,” and the process involves tattooing an ultra-thin black line along the lash line that sits at the root of the lashes giving the illusion of a fuller lash line. This process is carried out by applying tiny dots of semi-permanent pigment between each lash, and the results are undetectable.
Still, they will create a natural enhancement that will make your eyes pop. Unlike eyeliner tattoos that use permanent inks, lash line enhancement treatment uses a vegetable-based dye, and the body absorbs the dye as time goes on.
Also, you don’t need to wear eyeliner anymore because the process improves your eye shape and eye area. The results can last up to three years with an annual touch-up to keep the liner fresh and help retain the pigment density. You might want to check out :Lash Boost vs Latisse
Benefits Of Lash Line Enhancement
- It works for all skin tones.
- Saves time and money.
- It is 100% customizable.
- Defines your eyes.
- It is ideal for people with total eyelash loss due to alopecia.
- Perfect for people with unsteady hands or vision problems.
- It eliminates smudges, smears, or worn-off eyeliner.
- Easy to maintain.
How Is The Lash Line Enhancement Procedure Performed?
Lash line enhancement is a subtle procedure that enhances the lash line. Rather than applying eyeliner to the waterline or lash line, it tints that area with black to make the lashes appear thicker. The procedure also involves a needle going scarily close to your eyeball.
Although this sounds intense but not to worry, the trained and licensed technicians know precisely what they are doing. However, you cant see the needle going near your eyes, but if you feel nervous, you can keep your eyes shut the entire time. Furthermore, it is essential to wait for six weeks after any lash lifts, lash tints or lash extensions.
Permanent makeup artists use a device like a tattoo gun because they are smaller and have lesser power. Before adequately going into the procedure, the client will have to consult with the artist to discuss their expectations because most times, the client might want an eyeliner tattoo and not a lash line enhancement.
After the consultation, the artist will go right into the procedure by cleansing the client’s lashes and eyelids with a wipe specially made for the ocular area. After that, a topical anesthetic will be applied to the lash line for 20 minutes.
After the time elapses, the anesthetic will be wiped off and wiped again with wet gauze to eliminate any residue of the anesthetic. Then, the artist will tattoo the lash line, going from eye to eye and re-applying anesthetic when needed.
However, once the procedure is complete, clients will feel soreness, especially those extremely sensitive to pain, though the eyes will be flushed with eye drops and the skin will be cleaned. In addition, it is advisable to avoid the lash line enhancement if you have glaucoma or if you’re pregnant, nursing, or prone to keloid scarring. The procedure usually takes 90 minutes to 2 hours and is fully customized to produce the best results based on the client’s preference.
Factors That Affect Lash Line Enhancement
1. Sun Exposure
Full sun exposure can change the pigment’s color appearance and soften the look of the lash line enhancement. However, when going out, wearing sunglasses and hats is always recommended to prevent premature eyeliner fading.
Smokers or even people with unhealthy skin may not have their desired results.
3. Bleeding During The Procedure
Although the lash line enhancement procedure can be intense, most clients may bleed. However, excessive bleeding will reduce the amount of pigment absorption.
How Long Is The Lash Line Enhancement Healing Process?
Upon completion of the procedure, clients will tend to experience swelling and tenderness. Usually, this swelling will subsidize within a few hours, and the first week after the treatment, the pigment will be darker than how it will appear once it has healed; it may also flake off and feel dry, and your eyes may feel itchy.
During the first 4-8 weeks after the skin heals, the pigment will become visible, and a touch-up session is recommended 6-12 weeks after your first appointment to achieve richness in color and density in shape.
The healing process takes about a week, and you are not expected to wear any eye makeup like eye shadow or mascara until the area is fully healed; otherwise, it can fade the pigment or irritate your eyes. Once the area healed and you are back to wearing makeup again, use a new tube of mascara and a set of clean brushes to avoid an infection.
Possible Side Effects Of The Lash Line Enhancement
Upon completion of the procedure, the possible side effects are irritability and redness. Also, clients may experience temporary swelling or the feeling of something still in the eye, which could result from the residue of pigments still in the eye.
However, this can be prevented by flushing the eye with eye drops once the procedure is complete. Other possible side effects include fanning, fading, hypomelanosis, phototoxicity, and inflammatory reactions.
How Long Does Lash Line Enhancement Last?
Unlike any other permanent makeup procedures, lash line enhancement lasts about 3-5 years because the skin on the eyelids is much thinner. However, the procedure is a two-step process that requires a touch-up about 4-6 weeks after the initial application. Check Out: How Long Does A Lash Lift And Tint Last?
Who Are The Ideal Candidates For Lash Line Enhancement?
Lash line enhancement is not just a perfect solution for anyone who wants thicker, darker, and healthier-looking lashes; they can also be a great alternative to lash extensions, eyeliners, and even mascaras.
Either way, Lash line enhancement is best for people with very light or very sparse lashes; people with naturally blonde hair have light lashes. Lash line enhancement can prevent them from applying mascara that always looks obvious with light lashes.
Lash line enhancement is also ideal for people who have no lashes and might have lost them through alopecia, cancer treatment, or other reasons. That being said, lash line enhancement is not ideal for clients with seborrheic dermatitis, epilepsy, skin irritations or psoriasis, extraordinarily oily or problematic skin, or clients allergic to anesthetic or nickel or currently undergoing chemo or radiation.
Cost Of Lash Line Enhancement
Depending on the artist, location, style, color, and thickness, lash line enhancement cost ranges from $250 to $600.
Lash Line Enhancement Pre-Appointment Instructions
You can’t just walk into a salon and decide to get a lash line enhancement; there are a few instructions you must follow to get the desired result.
- Do not get Botox injections.
- Refrain from using eyelash growth serums for a minimum of six weeks before your appointment, as well as a chemical peel or skin laser treatment.
- Remove lash extensions and avoid using harsh products like retinoids and acids around the eyes.
- Do not drink alcohol and caffeine, and avoid sweating on the day of your appointment.
- Do not dye or perm your lashes and avoid using Latisse.
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen unless the doctor prescribes it.
- Do not take coffee
- Please do not go to your appointment wearing your best clothes because the pigment might splatter on them, which might be challenging to get rid of.
- Please refrain from using mascaras two days before your appointment to ensure your lashes do not have residue on them.
- Take off contact lenses but feel free to go with your glasses.
- You can go for a lash lift and tint treatment a few days before the lash line enhancement procedure.
Note that you will be more sensitive during your menstrual cycle, so you must follow these pre-appointment instructions to limit excessive bleeding and reduce skin sensitiveness. Otherwise, it will dilute the pigment, leading to erroneous results.
Lash Line Enhancement Aftercare
- To help with the swelling, gently place ice on the treated area for 15 minutes every hour, following your service for 4 hours.
- Do not rub, pick or scratch the treated area as it can cause scarring and pigment cause.
- Wait 5-7 days before wearing contacts.
- Avoid going to the gym/working out 5-7 days after treatment.
- Do not wear makeup, especially mascara, for 5-7 days after treatment.
- Avoid sleeping on your face; use a fresh pillowcase instead.
- Avoid excessive rinsing and use of hot water on the treated area.
- Avoid any anti-acne products or lightening creams to the treated area while healing.
- Avoid swimming pool jacuzzi for two weeks.
- Do not use oils, Vaseline, or other petroleum-based during the healing process.
- You can continue your regular skincare routine after 30 days.